Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Buckwheat Sweet Potato Farls (with sweet potato mash, dairy-free, gluten- free, egg-free recipe)




In my home we always seem to have some potato bread knocking around in our bread bin. My Dad who is from Ireland has eaten it from a young age, and so quite often I'll find him frying it up for himself and my family on the weekends. So, one day the idea popped into my head when thinking what to do with some leftover sweet potato mash...buckwheat sweet potato farls! I believe that this is a brilliant way of making your leftover mashed potato go that little bit further than just one meal. I was so excited with my idea that I had a quick look at a couple of recipes for the basic potato farl and decided to experiment immediately, and this is how I made mine:




Ingredients:

Sweet Potato Mash
Buckwheat Flour
Rice/Soy Milk or any milk of your choice
Sea Salt
Pepper
Oil for frying

Method:

Firstly, heat a splash of milk in a saucepan.

Then flour your surface with buckwheat flour.

Then weigh your leftover mash and then to that add half as much flour to create the dough, for example if you have around 200 grams of sweet potato mash, you would weigh out 100 grams of buckwheat flour.

You might need a little of the warm milk to help bind these together, although it is not always necessary.

Once you've formed a nice soft dough, begin to roll it out to about a 1cm thick rectangle, or thicker if you like!

Then divide this into about 8 farls by simply cutting with a knife; at this point I like to add a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper and finally a sprinkling of buckwheat flour.

You can then add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan on a medium- high heat. Simply add as many farls to your pan as you can and fry for about 1 minute and a half each side, or until a thin layer of browned skin is formed, and then flip and fry for the same amount of time on the other side.

Serve with baked beans, sausages, bacon, eggs, the works, on a lovely Sunday morning, or whatever you like with your sweet potato farls!

I hope you like this recipe, please leave any comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment